It all began in 1964 when a group of ladies from Marquette Women’s Literary Club launched a book drive with the campaign slogan, “Read More In 64”. There was a need for a library so the children could carry on their reading during summer break, and to satisfy the reading interest of the adults. The MWL Club sent representation to the State Library Association in Topeka. A library planning committee consisting of Mrs. LaRue Olson, Mrs. George Timmons, Mrs. Bertis Wickstrom, Mrs. Gertrude Shields, and Mrs. Melvin Hopp began the process.
Gift books and other contributions began to pour in from people and organizations in the community. It is difficult to name all who helped without fear of omitting someone, but the Boy Scouts, Starlight Literary Club, Marquette Modern Homemakers, American Legion, Rebekah Lodge, and others had active part. On April 1, 1964, the library opened with 600 gift books to loan. The first building to house the collection is now the Ulher Memorial Hall.
In 1973, the library was moved in to the vacant Marquette State Bank building. A community member was hired as a regular librarian. Membership in the South Central Kansas Library System brought many positive changes. Services expanded along with the number of books on the shelves. The bank building, which was built in 1887, still features the lovely old hard wood bank fixtures – including the vault which houses old copies of The Marquette Tribune.